ATHLETICS AT GPS:
The GPS Athletics mission includes teaching girls to be team players, understand the importance of mental toughness, accept challenges enthusiastically, and value strength, fitness, stamina, and good health. The bonds of friendship that come from working hard every day as teammates—striving for excellence toward an ambitious goal and developing the fundamental values of discipline and self-improvement—all are part of athletics at Girls Preparatory School. Ultimately, the GPS athletic environment is about aiming to be the very best on the field of competition, in the classroom, and in life. That attitude is shared by the outstanding staff of award-winning GPS coaches and more than 300 athletes who are involved at the varsity and middle school level. GPS has a proud athletic history with 61 state championships won in 15 total varsity sports.
The successful candidate will show the ability to provide leadership, organization, and supervision of the GPS basketball program. This individual will be responsible for providing direction, instruction, and supervision to female student athletes, so they achieve a high level of skill and an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Instructs and demonstrates skill sets and techniques necessary for individual and team achievement in basketball, aiding the educational and individual growth of team members.
• Implements and maintains a standard of performance consistent with the institution’s goals of athletic excellence while supporting the school’s standards for academic and personal discipline.
• Assists with plans and set-up for activities, practices, and interscholastic contests. Travels with student athletes on the team bus to and from all games.
• Enforces discipline policies, emphasizes good sportsmanship in word and behavior, and advocates healthy lifestyles.
• Supervises students in locker rooms at home and away games and ensures appropriate behavior. Maintains a safe environment for all student athletes at all times.
• Assists with collection of team statistics, editing of game and practice film, and scouting of opponents.
• Maintains appropriate certifications and training as required. Follows and maintains knowledge of all TSSAA policies, rules and procedures.
• Interacts thoughtfully and courteously with all students, staff, parents and officials and resolves conflict in a professional manner. Professionally represents Girls Preparatory School at all times.Requirements:
Qualified applicants, please click here to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of two (2) years coaching secondary basketball, preferably female student-athletes
- Knowledge of NFHS and TSSAA Rules for Basketball
Girls Preparatory School inspires each girl to lead a life of integrity and purpose by engaging her mind, cultivating her strengths, and nurturing her self-confidence and respect for others.