Girls Preparatory School inspires each girl to lead a life of integrity and purpose by engaging her mind, cultivating her strengths, and nurturing her self-confidence and respect for others.
ABOUT GIRLS PREPARATORY SCHOOL:
Girls Preparatory School (GPS) was founded in 1906 to provide girls with the necessary courses to pursue a college education. Since that year, GPS has proudly graduated almost 6000 young women. Currently, 131 faculty and staff serve 600+ girls in grades 6-12 with a college preparatory curriculum which includes a full complement of humanities, arts, and STEM courses, and co-curricular programs of leadership development, athletics, performing arts, and community engagement.
ATHLETICS AT GPS:
The GPS Athletics mission includes teaching girls to be team players, understand the importance of mental toughness, accept challenges enthusiastically, and value strength, fitness, stamina, and good health. The bonds of friendship that come from working hard everyday as teammates — striving for excellence toward an ambitious goal and developing the fundamental values of discipline and self-improvement — all are part of athletics at Girls Preparatory School. Ultimately, the GPS athletic environment is about aiming to be the very best on the field of competition, in the classroom, and in life. That attitude is shared by the outstanding staff of award-winning GPS coaches and more than 300 athletes who are involved at the varsity and middle school level. GPS has a proud athletic history with 61 state championships won in 15 total varsity sports.
The successful candidate will show the ability to provide leadership, organization, and supervision for the diving program in a manner that aligns with the mission of the total athletic program at GPS. This individual will be responsible for providing direction, instruction, and supervision to female student athletes so they achieve a high level of skill and an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork. The candidate will also direct the activity and development of the middle school diving coach and coordinate their work with the head varsity swimming coach.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Instructs and demonstrates skill sets and techniques necessary for individual and team achievement in diving, aiding the educational and individual growth of team members.
- Implements and maintains a standard of performance consistent with the institution’s goals of athletic excellence while supporting the school’s standards for academic and personal discipline.
- Plans and sets up activities, training, and interscholastic contests. Develops appropriate practice schedules. Travels with student athletes on the team bus to and from all meets and competitions.
- Enforces discipline policies, emphasizes good sportsmanship in word and behavior, and encourages healthy lifestyles. Supports and advocates the school’s belief in the value of multi-sport participation.
- Maintains a safe environment for all student athletes at all times. Supervises students in locker rooms at the pool and works with the GPS Aquatics Coordinator to ensure that all diving boards are in safe working order.
- Works closely with the GPS Director of Athletics and Head Varsity Swimming Coach in preparing practice and competition schedules, purchasing uniforms, equipment and supplies, and collecting necessary medical forms. Notifies the GPS Director of Athletics of facility needs or improvements in a timely manner.
- Maintains appropriate certifications and training as required. Follows and maintains knowledge of all USA Diving policies, rules and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Head Varsity Swimming Coach, monitors and directs the school’s social media efforts for all GPS diving teams. Informs local media of meet results, stats, and stories related to the program.
- Assists in the recruitment of student-athletes with aspirations of participating in college.
- Interacts thoughtfully and courteously with all students, staff, parents and officials and resolves conflict in a professional manner. Professionally represents Girls Preparatory School at all times.
- Bachelor’s Degree Expected
- A minimum of two (2) years coaching diving, preferably female student athletes.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Collegial and eager to collaborate with other sport coaches for the betterment of the athletes and GPS Athletics
- Knowledge of USA Diving Rules and Regulations
- Demonstrated commitment to building cultural competencies and empowering students to engage across differences.
It is the School’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, or disability or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws. It is the intent and resolve of the School to comply with the letter and the spirit of the law in the implementation of all facets of equal opportunity. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, promotion, training, discipline, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
All employees are responsible for complying with the School's equal employment opportunity policy.